While raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens might be the favorite things for Maria from the Sound of Music, they don’t make the list for me, at least not when it comes to blogging. Although, I guess I really do like whiskers on kittens, along with the rest of those cuddly little fur balls. But when it comes to blogging, my list of favorite things might be a little unusual.
- Seeing things from the perspective of my dog, Owney. It wasn’t until I started my blog that Owney was able to truly express himself in ways that I could understand. Over the past year, I, along with readers of this blog, have been able to hear about Owney’s adventures. Everything from Doggie Day Care to walking at the Wayne County Fairgrounds to encountering a skunk, have been opportunities for him to write.
- Capturing the moments I get to spend with my husband, Bobby. I am truly blessed being married to Bobby for many reasons, but not the least of which is because we have always gone places and done different things. I have heard more than once that he and I “do fun things.” The problem is that before I started my blog, we did things, but didn’t really capture the memory. Now, though we have it. So even if no one else sees my posts, I still have our time chronicled for future reference. This is great, so that when I’m old, I won’t have to rely on faulty memories, to remember all the fun we’ve had.
- Going new places. It is easy to get in a rut, I know. But now that I have a blog it seems like new things are always on the horizon. While I enjoy certain things and could enjoy doing or seeing them more than once, with my blog I’m challenged to find new and interesting things to try and do.
- Trying new restaurants. O.K. so this might not be a shocker to my regular readers, but I love to eat out. With my blog I get to do that quite a lot. Plus I get to try new restaurants and not the same old ones (although Texas Roadhouse will probably always be my favorite). I might not write about every place I eat, but if I really enjoy it, you can bet it will show up in my blog at some point in time. The hardest part is waiting for Bobby to take pictures of our food before I can dig in. He often has to remind me to do that.
- Growing confidence. This is sort of a work in progress. That I actually put out my writing on the internet for anyone to see and comment on, is pretty amazing. Before my blog, I would not write consistently and when I did write, only a few select people would ever read it. Now that I am writing frequently, and making it available of others to see, I am growing in my confidence as a writer. I have gotten a lot of feedback that my blog is fun to read. That causes my confidence to grow and me to consider trying new avenues of writing. (Who knows what more I can do?)
These are just a few of the things I like about blogging. So whenever I get to the end of my day and realize that I still need to prepare a blog for the next day, I think about these things. It helps me remember why I blog to begin with and why I want to keep on doing so.